Getting to grips with Polar Alignment

June 01 2010

In preparation for first light I have checked the polar scope reticule alignment and it is all good. Next is to set the setting circles and polaris transit so I can polar align. Here is where my confusion begins!
I can set polaris in transit and set the date and time for this but when I go to set the scope for the date and time of observation I am unable to as the RA setting circle moves with the RA instead of being locked down. Several hours of forum posts and reading internet articles and I cannot resolve the problem. The someone tells me of a simple way to polar align. 
The simple method involves setting the RA setting circle for a Polaris Transit time and then using the Synscan handset data I can rotate the mount about the RA until the correct time is displayed thus ensuring polaris is in the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment